You are not connected. Please login or register

How do you handle discipline of Staff?

+3
Derri
Unknown™
Silent
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1How do you handle discipline of Staff? Empty How do you handle discipline of Staff? Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Silent

Silent

Do you have an administrator that handles staff discipline? Also, what type of system do you use?

Unknown™

Unknown™

Are you asking for our method or for everyone's method?

Derri

Derri

I'm going to assume he is wanting to know a variety of methods used by different people.

The personal method I use will depend on the following: Circumstance
Forum Activity (How much moderation needs to be done)
Personal Activity (How active they're in moderating but also how active they're in both moderating the forum and staff discussions)
General attitude to the forums (if they're dedicated then I will more likely keep them)

A few things I'll never do:

Dismiss a staff member without any kind of warning or reason. I find it borderline annoying and unfair to ever remove someone from Staff without reason. The only time I will do this is if I can't contact them and they've basically dropped off the face of the earth but even then I'll wait awhile

I'll never dismiss a staff member because I think someone could be better for the job.

I will never dismiss a staff member because my friends have joined the forum and I think they'd be better - this has got to be one of the most stupid things I've ever witnessed on a forum.

Jaw

Jaw

Derri your are so right. Why remove a staff member without a reason? And if theres a reason why make it a stupid one as in "Moving a topic to the wrong place" It was just a mistake, everyone makes mistakes.

5How do you handle discipline of Staff? Empty Re: How do you handle discipline of Staff? Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:52 am

Derri

Derri

Everyone is human. Therefore its a human error and you're going to make mistakes.

Plus keeping staff and improving as a whole and making your staff feel like a unit is the best way forward because if you can get staff and keep them and work through their flaws of making small errors such as moving topics to the wrong section then your staff become loyal and FRIENDS.

If you're friends with your staff online then you're going to not enjoy moderating the forum.

Also in my opinion if a moderator can back up an action they've done with logic and its sensible then I can work with that or tell them they've done a good job.

I remember being fired off of a Forum so the admin could bring his friends on board. To me, that is what I call a failing admin.

SagestX

SagestX
Review Team Leader

I like to give chances. I agree with Derri totally.
I do think there is a limit, however. If a staff member makes the same mistakes repeatedly, and just says sorry every time you warn them, I think that is the time to drop the boot. If you can see that they are trying hard to improve, help them to do so. If they show true initiative, keep them and guide them to perfection. Every one who has been staff once wasn't born knowing what to do.

Jimmy

Jimmy
Mangement

When there are so difficult situations, I prefer pm the staff members who are fighting. If they don't listen, I remove them from the staff for some hours in order to calm down. If they continue, they are fired. But every situation is different.

http://jimmys-network.com

Dee

Dee

Like it's been said, I would approach the situation depending on the circumstance. Every member, including myself, must abide by the forum rules, and we are never exempt from them unless the circumstances require me--the administrator--to make that decision. As long as they are obeying the rules and enforcing them properly, there's no reason to discipline, but it really depends on each individual case, so it's hard to tell what I'd do in a general situation.

http://the-sandbox.boards.net

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum